Monday, January 23, 2012
Cork Gig Guide January 23rd-29th
Brooklyn's Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are the big wheel this week as the manic, congested motorway that is Cork's live music scene shifts up a gear. The long named ones released Hysterical, their third long player, last year and will treat all present in The Pavilion on Thursday night to their own unique brand of indie rock.
Misspent Youth from CYHSY on Vimeo.
The tireless Jukebox Gypsy kickstart the week in the The Crane Lane. It may be a little early in the week for a late show (should start at about 11.30pm) but the seemingly endless energy of frontman Dave Hastie should balance this out. The Gypsy are always worth a punt live and, as with most Crane Lane gigs there is no entry fee.
Banjo lovers out there will not want to miss Junctions on Wednesday night as husband and wife Béla Fleck and Abigal Washburn give an exemplary masterclass on how to play one of the funnest instruments known to mankind.
Saturday night is hectic with Triskel's Christchurch hosting a celebration of influential modern composer John Cage's works of the lesser known last twenty years of his life performed by the Quiet Music Ensemble and a host of local talent performing elsewhere around the city including Trumpets of Jericho in The Pavilion, When Good Pets Go Bad in An Réalt Dearg, Alan (White) & The Accident in The LV while Fred and The Hard Ground pair up again to play De Barra's down in Clon(akilty).
Speaking of local talent the second Grand Parade Presents - whose mission it is to promote Cork talent by arranging monthly gigs in various parts of the country including Dublin's Crawdaddy at the end of 2011 - promoted show takes place in the Crane Lane with Lamp, Zombie Computer (who both played the Crawdaddy) and Echogram set to showcase their abilities on Thursday.
If you are still not convinced there is something on for you this weekend then take a gander at the official website for the Ballincollig Winter Music Festival which will see the likes of Cathy Davey, Paul Brady, the silly talented Caoimhín Ó'Raghallaigh and more play The White Horse over four days beginning on Thursday (Jan 26th) not to mention The Great Balloon Race in The Pavilion as part of the Sunday Sessions and the enthralling CW Stoneking who returns to Cyprus Avenue on Sunday to end the week on a high.
Oh and did I mention Agitate The Gravel on Wednesday in The Crane Lane and the amazing Martin Finke in De Barra's that same night? Phew....
Monday, January 23rd
- G&G Sindikatas in The Crane Lane Theatre (9.30pm)
- Jukebox Gypsy in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, January 24th
- Jazz Improv! in The Crane Lane Theatre (9.30pm)
- Alamo Bandit in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
January 24th - The Candle Sessions with Hank Wedel & Edel Curtin in The Pavilion
Wednesday, January 25th
- Junctions presents Bela Fleck, Abigail Washburn & Friends in The Pavilion
- Superblondes and Agitate The Gravel in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- The Fireside Sessions featuring Tony Henderson in
Mr. Bradley's of Barrack Street
- New Mind Line in An Bróg
- De Barra's Sitting Room Sessions featuring Martin Finke and The High Nellies in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, January 26th
- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Meursault in The Pavilion
- The Grand Parade Presents Zombie Computer, Lamp and Echogram in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Elevens in The Roundy
- Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh & Brendan Begley and Paddy & Kevin Glackin in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
Friday, January 27th
- Cage Day presented by UCC with The Quiet Music Ensemble and The Quiet Club in UCC's Glucksman Gallery (1pm)
- Phil Hope's Under a Plastic Cloud in Gulpd Café (9.30)
- Tim O'Brien & Arty McGlynn in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
- Fir Beag in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, January 28th
- Trumpets of Jericho in The Pavilion
- When Good Pets Go Bad and The North Sea in An Réalt Dearg
- Cage & Aviary in Gulpd Café (9.30 - moved from Friday)
- Alan (White) & The Accident in The LV
- Quiet Music Ensemble presents
Child of Tree: A celebration of John Cage in the Triskel Christchurch
- Versives in An Cruiscin Lan (Acoustic)
- Fred in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- Paul Brady in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
Sunday, January 29th
- CW Stoneking with Tiny Ruins and Joey Ryan in Cyprus Avenue
- Sunday Sessions featuring The Great Balloon Race in The Pavilion
- Cathy Davey in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
- The Idle Hour in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)