The inaugural Days On End experimental music festival takes place in Cork this weekend with all sorts of performances (including Dublin's The Bridges of Madison County on Friday), screenings, workshops taking place across various venues from Friday to Sunday. See the official site here for details on tickets etc. or check the blog later in the week to read an interview with one of the event's organisers, Ten Past Seven's Rory O'Brien.
Dublin musical collective Popical Island stage their own little mini-festival with five of their main protagonists filling The Pavilion with indie pop goodness on Saturday (Tieranniesaur, Land Lovers and Squarehead) and Sunday (The Walpurgis Family - who offically launch Dawn, their second album, Lie Ins). Entry on both nights is free.
As posted last month, Cork/Limerick genre-gurglers Private Underground Residence make a welcome return on Thursday with an album fund-raiser on Barrack Street in An Réalt Dearg. Click here for more.
Syrupy-voiced Michael Kiwanuka, chosen by the BBC as one of their Sound of 2012 artists, rounds off the week in Cyprus Avenue with special guests The Staves supporting. Click here to read an interview with the Watford trio.
Obviously the above is the briefest of brief summaries. From the folky loveliness of Bill Coleman in the Vicarstown Bar on North Main Street (Monday), the pumping pop of Slow Motion Heroes in An Bróg on Olly Plunky (Wednesday), to the hip-pop of Ms Dynamite in Cyprus Avenue (Saturday) there should be something to massage your melody-bone.
Monday, February 6th
- Bill Coleman, Lynda Cullen & Band and more in Vicarstown Bar
- The Ben Reel Band in The Crane Lane Theatre (23.00pm)
Tuesday, February 7th
- Candle Sessions with Hank Wedel & Edel Curtin in The Pavilion
- Jazz Improv in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- The Roaring Forties in The Crane Lane Theatre (23.30pm)
Wednesday, February 8th
- CSN (Colaiste Stiofain Naofa) Live and Gigging in The Pavilion
- Slow Motion Heroes in An Bróg
- Fireside Sessions with Sean Kelleher and Mike Hanrahan(Stockton's Wing in Mr. Bradley's of Barrack Street
- G.I.M.P. in The Crane Lane Theatre (23.30pm)
- UCC Battle of the Bands - Heat 1 in Cyprus Avenue
Thursday, February 9th
- Private Underground Residence, The Handless Organist and Brian Dillon in An Réalt Dearg
Private Underground Residence - Snuffbox by P.U.Residence
- The Aftermath in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Friday, February 10th
- Days On End presents Quiet Club followed by a screening Ruth Clinton and Niamh Moriarty's 'Gasp At End' in The Roundy (6pm)
Days On End presents Stet Lab featuring Jesse Ronneau in The Roundy (8pm)
- Days On End presents Stet Lab featuring The Bridges of Madison County , The Glamour and Prestige of Diarmuid MacDiarmada and The Māori John Wayne in Sample Studios (old Fás building, 2nd floor) (9.30pm)
- UCC Tradfest Battle of the Bands in Cyprus Avenue
- Tarab in UCC's Aula Maxima (1pm)
- The Papa Zitas in The Pavilion
Saturday, February 11th
- Days On End presents Electronics, Instruments and Sound workshop with Robby Collins, Ed Devane and guest speaker in National Sculpture Factory (9am)
- UCC Tradfest featuring Mairtin O'Connor, Cathal Hayden and more in The Crane Lane Theatre (8pm)
- Ms. Dynamite in Cyprus Avenue
- Popical Island Invasion: Tieranniesaur, Land Lovers and Squarehead in The Pavilion
- Crow Black Chicken in Charlie's Bar
- Days On End presents On (24hr experimental drone gig) in Sample Studios (old Fás building, 2nd floor) (8pm)
Sunday, February 12th
- Days On End presents Lunch with fine cuisine and sounds courtesy of Mick O'Shea and friends in The Guesthouse (2pm)
- Popical Island Invasion: The Walpurgis Family and Lie Ins in The Pavilion
- Michael Kiwanuka with special guests The Staves in Cyprus Avenue
- Alabama 3 in Cork Opera House