The lucky duck(er) that I am I find myself with a ticket to see The Shins in London on Thursday night. Plans are still in place to make a break for the Triskel once I replant my feet-flowers in Irish soil on Saturday evening as New Yorkers Matt Mottel and Kevin Shea's frantically frenetic Talibam! storm the Tobin Street venue courtesy of Plugd Records and GoodCop BadCop. The dastardly duo will be joined by Sam Kulik - who featured on their latest recording Discover AtlantASS - on trombone.Discover AtlantASS is "a concept album which tells the story of a young teen named Franklin who gets abducted to the undersea world of Atlantis by a laid-back revolutionary jazz fish named Stinge. Together, they are ready to combat a disastrous oil spill which has nearly eradicated the vibrant community of poets, musicians, artists and fornicators who inhabit the undersea paradise."
Yes indeed, "intriguing" is one word that springs to mind. Support comes in the form of The Bridges of Madison County - who wowed all in attendance at the recent Days On End experimental music festval - and Waterford's Percolator. €10 will get you in.
Saturday night is becoming THE night for gigs these days with every week throwing up some painful clashes. Billed on the same night as Talibam! are rootsy Dubliners I Draw Slow , who make an appearance in The Pavilion. Gillian Welch fans recommended to go have a looksy. Seeing as it is another free gig there are no excuses!
Friday will see The Ambience Affair swiftly returning to Cork after their recent stint in The Pavilion. Read The G-Man interview with frontman Jamie here. Earlier in the night, flamenco guitar supremo Eduardo Niebla drops in to bedazzle the Triskel Christchurch with an 8pm show to kick the weekend off with a touch of class.
Continuing my backwards approach to gig-guiding sees us stumble upon two new music sessions on Thursday night with both Fred's (biweekly showcase featuring Foxglove and more) and The Pav (The Bedroom Sessions featuring The Empire Lights and Lynda Cullen) both doing their bit in support of local music. Wednesday remains session mad with ex-Citadels frontman Cormac O'Caoimh guesting in front of Mr. Bradley's Barrack Street fire and electro-pop duo Versives appearing in the now famous Clonakilty sitting room that is De Barra's.
For all gigs see below.
Tuesday, March 20th
- The Candle Sessions with Hank Wedel & Edel Curtin in The Pavilion (Bar)
- Gypsy Jazz in The Crane Lane Theatre (11pm)
- Luka Bloom in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Wednesday, March 21st
- INME, Lost Alone and Mojo Fury in Cyprus Avenue
- Fireside Sessions with Cormac O'Caoimh in Mr. Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Atlantis Fire Dept, Tomás McCarthy and Default Daves in The Pavilion
- Jawbone in The Pavilion (Bar)
- Crow Black Chicken in The Crane Lane Theatre (11pm)
- White McKenzie in An Bróg
- Sitting Room Sessions featuring Versives and Two Men & A Box in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, March 22nd
- Showcase Night featuring Foxglove, Sian Brown and more in Fred Zeppelins
- The Bedroom Sessions featuring The Empire Lights and Lynda Cullen in The Pavilion
- Birdthistle in The Crane Lane Theatre (11pm)
Friday, March 23rd
- The 4 of Us (acoustic) in Cyprus Avenue
- Fish Go Deep in The Pavilion (11pm)
- The Ambience Affair in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- Eduardo Niebla Duo in the Triskel Christchurch (8pm)
Saturday, March 24th
- Protobaby (album launch) in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- Talibam!, The Bridges of Madison County and Percolator in the Triskel
- Andy Irvine in The Spaniard (Kinsale)
- I Draw Slow in The Pavilion
Sunday, March 25th
- El Hombre Jokes in The Crane Lane Theatre (10.30pm)
- Southern Belles (Paula Gomez, Paula Kingston, Mide Houlihan & Christine Deady) in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- The Sunday Sessions featuring Stuart Wilde in The Pavilion