|Alexander Tucker - Triskel, May 12th|
As expected after a hectic bank holiday weekend, the second week of May is a little less frantic on the gig front. In saying that, for those who succeed in moving their weary bones, Tuesday in The Crane Lane air will be filled with gypsy jazz, exhaled naturally by Portlandians, The Underscore Orkestra. Expect balkan, klezmer and exotic belly dancing. If that travelling troupe fail to wake you from your slumber then - well - sweet dreams.
Wednesday is a lot busier with electro-rock energy beamed into the same venue courtesy of Waterford quartet Solar Taxi, alternative folkies The Man Whom and Karrie in The Pavilion, with recent G-Man interviewee Foreign Slippers providing support for honky tonk pianist Duke Special in Cyprus Avenue all on the same night.
Cyprus Avenue on Thursday again provides the stage for Swedish songster Emil Svanängen aka Loney, Dear with Cork based multimedia creators/music promoters Feel Good Lost's first birthday party celebrations in The Pav spear-headed by Athens electro duo Keep Shelly in Athens.
Therapy?'s rescheduled Cyprus Avenue date rock us into the weekend with a quieter option in the rootsy shape of West Cork's LOWmountain available on Barrack Street in Bradley's taking us right up to the gig of the week.
The ever haunting surroundings of Triskel Arts Centre's Christchurch provides the setting for guitar virtuoso James Blackshaw and English experimental multi-instrumentalist Alexander Tucker's excellent double-header on Saturday night. There may even be time to bolt over to Carey's Lane who have their own quality twin-billing in the form of John Blek & The Rats and The Mandolas.
Both of the latter are in action again on the following night with JB & co. supporting Fionn Regan in Cyprus Avenue (after their own early evening show in Myrtleville) and the sultans of string doing likewise for The Hard Ground in The Bowery
Tuesday, 8th May
- Hank Wedel & Edel Curtin in The Pavilion
- The Underscore Orkestra in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Wednesday, 9th May
- Duke Special and Foreign Slippers in Cyprus Avenue
- MAKO in An Bróg
- Solar Taxi in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- De Barra's Sitting Room featuring Noah Weinstein and more in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- The Man Whom and Karrie in The Pavilion
Thursday, 10th May
- Echogram in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Loney Dear and Gabriel & The Hounds in Cyprus Avenue
- Grainne Cotter Jazz Quintet in The Roundy
- Feel Good Lost 1st Birthday with Keep Shelly in Athens, Sacred Animals and more in The Pavilion
Friday, 11th May
- Therapy? in Cyprus Avenue
- Camea and Robin Keys in The Pavilion
- LOWmountain in Bradley's of Barrack Street
Saturday, 12th May
- Al-Andar Flamenco Live Show "Soltando Amarras" in The Crane Lane Theatre (8.30pm)
- Time Is A Thief (album launch) in Cyprus Avenue
- John Blek & The Rats and The Mandolas in The Pavilion
- Alexander Tucker and James Blackshaw in Triskel Arts Centre (8pm)
Sunday, 13th May
- The Hard Ground and The Mandolas in The Bowery
- Long Fingered Bandits and King Twit in The Crane Lane Theatre (81130pm)
- You Slut and Alright The Captain in Nancy Spains
- Daphne In The Attic in The Pavilion
- John Blek & The Rats in Pine Lodge (Myrtleville)
- Fionn Regan and John Blek & The Rats in Cyprus Avenue