|The Specials - Live at the Marquee|
The big one this week hits us early as Neville Staple and legendary ska kings The Specials set up camp within the canvas walls of The Marquee.
Due to the football madness, the gig listings in general are quite light but there is still a selected choice to choice from including Kilkenny pop-rockers Neon Wolf in The Crane Lane on Wednesday and Kinsale rudeboys Karma Parking also on Phoenix Street (Thursday).
San Diego's Gonjasufi arrives in Cyprus Avenue (and Cork for the first time if I am correct) on Friday with Murdock and Fat Actress ripping the floorboards up not too far away in Fred's.
As has become the expected norm these days, the main clash comes on Saturday with Last Days of 1984 and Reid in The Pavilion and a triple bill of Ghost Estates, The North Sea and Superblondes in Plugd Records on Tobin Street. Superblondes - the aforementioned's eponymously titled EP - has been making me smile for quite some time now. Stream or download from bandcamp here.
Last but not least, late night Saturday will see Black Sun (click for more) say goodbye. For now...
Monday, 11th June
- The Specials at Live at the Marquee
- The Naildrivers in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 12th June
- Jazz Improv in The Crane Lane Theatre (9.00pm)
- Lazik in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Wednesday, 13th June
- Fireside Sessions in Bradley's of Barrack Street13th
- The Plea in Old Oak
- Sitting Room Sessions featuring Jezebelle and Nicole Maguire in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- Ruby Sessions featuring Neon Wolf in The Crane Lane Theatre (11pm)
Thursday, 14th June
- Karma Parking in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Friday, 15th June
- Gonjasufi in Cyprus Avenue
- Murdock and Fat Actress in Fred Zeppelins
- The Coronas at Live at the Marquee
Saturday, 16th June
- Senekah in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- The Reverse in Cyprus Avenue
- Last Days of 1984 and Reid in The Pavilion
- Pulses of Tradition in Triskel Arts Centre (8pm)
- Ghost Estates, The North Sea and Superblondes in Plugd Records (8pm)
- Black Sun presents LUMPS, Woven Skull, Aonghus McEvoy and Divil A' Bit in Plugd Records (10pm)
Sunday, 17th June
- Hobo Convention with Young Wonder, Sertone and Monto in The Pavilion (4pm-11pm)
- Billy Kennedy (album launch) in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- The Roaring Forties in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)