The wellies are windig up for a serious workout this weekend as Electric Picnicers invade Stradbally for another year.
Sigur Ros, The Cure and Elbow provide the heavyweight ammunition for what looks to be a mud-soaked musical war with the "lesser" trenches occupied by some of the best new original Irish bands around. Katie Kim, Le Galaxie (who made quite an impression at Kilmainham earlier in the Summer), The Cast of Cheers, Tieranniesaur and more will represent the home-grown talent proudly so take note of the headliners of some of the smaller tents on the now official timetable below.
A couple of stand outs lower down the listings include:
- Alabama Shakes rocking festival-goers with an early appearance on the main stage - 17.30-18.30 Main Stage
- The inventors of indie/hipster Grizzly Bear look set to cram a tent with well-dressed young 'uns - 18.30-19.30 Electric Arena
- The tiniest tents make the most memorable festival experiences (for multiple reasons) so expect a buzzy buzz after Azealia Banks headlines the itty bitty little Cosby Stage on EP's opening night - 23.15-00.00 Cosby Stage
- Enemies rock. Get yourself into the main arena on Saturday afternoon for proof. - 13.20-14.00 Crawdaddy Stage
- What better way to bump yourself up the festival timetable than to audition which, in a way, is what many artists did in June when they took to the various stages at Forbidden Fruit. One such visitor to wow the crowd with her wares was Grimes who jets back into this wonderfully wet country for a Saturday night headline slot. - 23.45-00.30 Cosby Stage
- Calling on all past festival-going experience, late on Saturday night is usually when a festival hits its peak. The problem at EP some years is that the music winds up a little too early for those in the throes of peakdom's liking. Not a problem this year as Le Galaxie light up the LBT on Saturday night or, technically, Sunday morning - 02.00-03.00 Little Big Tent
- For those up and about with the worms and the birds on Sunday, look no further than Katie Kim's very, very early slot. Never disappointed by one of the shiniest jewel's in Ireland's currently glistening musical crown - 13.00-13.30 Cosby Stage
- If the comfort critters have set in at the Cosby Stage during Katie Kim then why bother rushing off elsewhere when Watford sisters The Staves' can make you feel like dirt (or mud which may be more relevant) with their extreme talents, looks and downright niceness. Harumph. - 14.30-15.00 Cosby Stage
- Of Monsters and Men recently hi-jacked national radio and it is for this very reason that this afternoon slot may be well attended. Very well attended indeed. - 16.00-16.45 Crawdaddy Stage
For those not so sharp on the eyeballin' click here to see the line-up and stage times up close and personal.
- Electric Picnic takes place in Stradbally, Co. Laois August 31st- September 2nd
- Weekend camping tickets are priced at €230 (before booking fees)
- Tickets on sale from the usuals
- Visit electricpicnic.ie for further details