For those who consume copious amounts of the black stuff on Arthur's Day, remember to keep the nurofen handy as the inaugural NOISE WEEKENDER amps up the volume from Friday to Sunday.
Icelandic rock ravens Dead Skeletons, synth-punk prowlers No Spill Blood, psych-terrorists The Altered Hours and more descend upon the holy trinity of Cork that is Triskel Arts Centre's TDC, Plugd Records and Gulpd Café. A long weekend filled with some of Cork's most exciting new bands (including Trumpets of Jericho and The Great Balloon Race) will see off the Indian Summer with a grand gesture, hopefully resulting in several more Weekenders in future.
For those looking to bop to a slightly bouncier beat then look no further than The Pavilion who welcome dance devils Le Galaxie back to Carey's Lane on Saturday night.
Hidden amongst the Arthur's Day celebrations on Thursday is the official arrival of the new Coughlan's Live venue with alt-country critters John Blek & The Rats charged with cracking the champagne bottle against the bar.
Tracing our way back to the start of the week there are two seriously enticing sessions taking place. On Tuesday the precious tones of the incredible Martin Finke will charm and melt De Barra's in equal measure whilst ex-Citadels man Cormac O'Caoimh settles in for a cosy fireside session in Bradley's of Barrack Street.
Somehow managed to omit Terror Pop's final hurrah in The Gateway on Saturday night. Genuinely think if I ignore it, it means it will not have happened...
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 24th September
- The Water Tower Bucket Boys in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Warrior Soul in Cyprus Avenue
- The Altered Hours and The Great Balloon Race in Pine Lodge (Myrtleville)
Tuesday, 25th September
- Grainne Cotter & The Blue Moods in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- The Raglans in Fred Zeppelins
- Ram's Pocket Radio in The Old Oak
- Sitting Room Session with Martin Finke in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Wednesday, 26th September
- Ruby Sessions featuring Solar Taxi in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Fireside Sessions with Cormac O'Caoimh in Bradley's of Barrack Street
Thursday, 27th September
- Arthur's Day events in various venues
- Cork Orchestral Society presents: Barry Douglas & Camerata Ireland in Cork School of Music
- Coughlan's Live presents: John Blek & The Rats and Joey Ryan in Coughlan's
- Jimmy Crowley’s Cork Folk Club featuring Rick Epping in The LV
- Arthur's Day with Alabama 3 in The LV
- Arthur's Day with We Cut Corners and Hush War Cry in The Pavilion
- UCC Music Night in The Roundy
- Scullion in Triskel Arts Centre's Christchurch
- Arthur's Day with Mick Flannery and more in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Friday, 28th September
- Shardborne, Ilenkus, Fat Actress and Three Hour Ceasefire in Fred Zeppelins
- Alan & The Accident in The Roundy
- Noise Weekender: Dead Skeletons and The Altered Hours in Triskel Arts Centre (9.30pm)
- Noise Weekender: Nanu Nanu in Gulpd Café (11.30pm)
- Pulses of Tradition in Triskel Arts Centre's Christchurch
- Naymedici in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 29th September
- Crowley's Instore: in Crowley's Music Centre (5pm)
- Coughlan's Live presents: Mundy and Karrie in Coughlan's
- Dead School in Cyprus Avenue
- Terror Pop (last ever show), Former Monarchs and Time Is a Thief in The Gateway
- Le Galaxie in The Pavilion
- Noise Weekender: No Spill Blood, Trumpets of Jericho and Nagasaki Suntans in Triskel Arts Centre (9.30pm)
- Noise Weekender: Mumblin’ Deaf Ro, Marc O’Reilly and Phantom Dog Beneath the Moon in Plugd Records (8pm)
- Noise Weekender: Magic Pockets in Gulpd Café (11.30pm)
Sunday, 30th September
- Ladydoll in The Bowery
- Coughlan's Live presents: Interference and Anna Mitchell in Coughlan's (4pm)
- Coughlan's Live presents: Liam O'Maonlai in Coughlan's (8pm)
- Babu Yerra with Andy Wilson, John Synnott and James Eliot Taylor in The Roundy
- Rachel Sermanni and Polly Barrett in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Cry Monster Cry in Fred Zeppelins
- Noise Weekender: Windings, Lamp, The Great Balloon Race and Für Immer in Triskel Arts Centre (9pm)
- Noise Weekender: Cormac O’Caoimh, Rory Francis O’Brien and Wasps vs Humans in Plugd Records (7.30pm)
- Noise Weekender: REID in Gulpd Café (10pm)