Monday, November 26, 2012
Cork Gig Guide (November 26th-December 2nd)
By this time next week it will be December and everyone will be heavily-engrossed in fine-tuning our Santa lists ahead of the big man's even bigger day. For those one step ahead of the game with nativity calendars already purchased, open that little paper door for December 1st and find the innocent little red-cheeked faces of Cork's favourite jazz-prog pioneers The Great Balloon Race, who launch their debut album Cardboard on that same day. Again the Half Moon is the place to be for this eagerly anticipated album cork-popper, with tickets priced at €6 (or €10 with a copy of the album itself).
Elsewhere, Irish chanteuse Julie Feeney will be bopping about Ballincollig on Monday so don't get a fright if you see the celebrated composer and singer stuffing her face with Lennox's. Legendary Cork venue The Lobby continues to live on in the form of new guise L'Attitude 51 which welcomes Virgina-born songwriter Rachel Austin upstairs for a cosy, intimate affair on a quiet Tuesday night before making her way down to Clon on the following night for a date in De Barra's.
The suddenly very active UCC Live Music Society hit Cyprus Avenue again with a heck of a local trio involved on the bill. Lamp, When Good Pets Go Bad and Fear Stalks The Land will all play sets on Caroline Street on Wednesday night for the paltry price of a pint (€5).
Inflame the Friday night fires with Barcelona misfits Peligro who are charged with priming the punk pylons in Fred's on Friday night before all roads point to the Half Moon on Saturday.
And last but not least, it's a sad goodbye to West Cork Ukulele Orchestra who call it a day after two years of fun-filled sets up and down the country. This one's taking place in the Cork Opera House and is set to feature all sorts of guests including a couple of Fredos.
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK
Glitterface and Mirrorman combine their forces to become alien pop duo Nanu Nanu who open up live musical proceedings for the week with a late one in The Crane Lane on Phoenix Street, waving goodbye to November 2012 with a swish and a sway of their electronic horsetail.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 26th November
- Nanu Nanu in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Julie Feeney in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
Tuesday, 27th November
- The Shaker Hymn and Grave Lanterns in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- L'Attitude Sessions featuring Rachel Austin L'Attitude
Wednesday, 28th November
- DaReEm in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Runaway Go in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- UCC LMS presents: Lamp, When Good Pets Go Bad and Fear Stalks The Land in Cyprus Avenue
- Howard Marks in The Pavilion
- Blue Note Jazz Sessions in The Roundy
- Sitting Room Sessions Rachel Austin and Buddy Mondlock in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 29th November
- Digital Mystikz and Mala & Coki in The Bodega
- Buddy Mondlock & Mike Lindauer in Coughlan's
- Jack L in Everyman Palace Theatre
- Raglans and Echotape in Fred Zeppelins
- Weak Wrists (electronic night) Roam and Shiv in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre)
- Fear Stalks The Land in The Roundy
Friday, 30th November
- Peligro (Barcelona), Found on the Floor and Bisect in Fred Zeppelins
- Dirty Epics in The Oliver Plunkett
- Fish Go Deep (24th birthday) in The Pavilion
- Felix Da Housecat in The Savoy
- Alias Empire in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 1st December
- The Great Balloon Race (album launch) and The Maori John Wayne in in Half Moon Theatre
- Damien Dempsey in Cork Opera House
- Paddy Casey in Cyprus Avenue
Sunday, 2nd December
- West Cork Ukulele Orchestra in Cork Opera House
- Mark Black & The Trips in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Coming in December
4th - The Unthanks in Cork Opera House
5th - Mono in Cyprus Avenue
5th - The Gloaming in Triskel Arts Centre's Christchurch
6th - Richard Hawley in The Savoy
13th - The Man Whom and Anna Mitchell in Coughlan's
15th - Native, Terriers and We Come In Pieces in Fred Zeppelins
16th - Lower Dens in Half Moon Theatre
22nd - The Altered Hours and Trumpets of Jericho in The Pavilion
26th - John Blek & The Rats in Cyprus Avenue
29th - The Frank & Walters play Trains, Boats and Planes (20th Anniversary) in The Savoy
31st - Mick Flannery in Cork Opera House