Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore will play two dates in Ireland's most southern county as his team up with Sunburned Hand of the Man drumming machine and regular collaborator John Moloney hits the U.K. & Ireland tour-trail. Compositions from last year's experimental Caught on Tape will dominate the setlist but - although unlikely - maybe keep an ear out for something from Chelsea Light Moving, Moore's latest upcoming release which also features Moloney. This one's an early show kicking off at about 8.30pm on Friday in The Crane Lane and €15 will gain you entry. Non-city dwellers can catch the duo earlier in the week down in Clon in De Barra's on Tuesday.
Sticking with the Phoenix Street venue but rewinding all the way back to the beginning of the week, dream-fuzz duo Low Sea are charged with the toughest set time of the week, a late night Monday graveyard shift in The Crane Lane. If you enjoy a dollop of dreampop with your noiserock, Billie and Bobby D's midnight stint on Phoenix Street is worth staying up for.
For those looking to cinematise their midweek live music meanderings, look no further than Castle Street as Empty Orchestra improvise a live soundtrack to silent naval Russian classic The Battleship Potemkin in The Roundy. A pretty cool way to see a silent movie if I do say so myself.
Thursday night is one for the refined: First, at 7pm, check out The Quarter for the opening of Show|Shot|Share, Noise super snapper Bríd O'Donovan's photographic exhibition, comprised of live music shots taken over the past 12 months; Then off with ye on the short stumble to The Pavilion for neo-classical instrumentalist Jonathan Pearson aka North Side Drive. Some may recognise Jonathan's tender compositions from a previous The G-Man Presents... showcase. Either way, this is another free show so definitely check it out if you are out and about.
The inexplicably brilliant (a statement that makes perfect sense once witnessed live) The Maori John Wayne are charged with rampaging about Carey's Lane on Saturday night as The Pavilion continues to build on the great list of bands to play free shows in the venue every single Saturday night. As ever, there should still be time to scuttle off to Tobin Street for a couple of alcy-bevvies in Gulpd with sounds and beats provided by super-spinner Phil Hope aka Under a Plastic Cloud.
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK
The Certain Three in The Bowery on Friday, 18th January. Click here for further details.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 14th January
- Low Sea in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 15th January
- Jericho and Fox E. and the Good Hands in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Thurston Moore & John Moloney in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Wednesday, 16th January
- Fireside Sessions: Art Crimes Band in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Ladydoll in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Empty Orchestra presents The Battleship Potemkin in The Roundy
Thursday, 17th January
- Elly O'Keefe in Bru
- North Side Drive in The Pavilion
- Live Music Photography Exhibitition: Bríd O'Donovan in The Quarter (7pm)
- The Grunts in The Roundy
Friday, 18th January
- The Certain Three Tour 2013: Nanu Nanu, Si Schroeder and Trumpets of Jericho in The Bowery
- Thurston Moore & John Moloney in The Crane Lane Theatre (8.30pm)
- Aeon in Cyprus Avenue
- The Penny Dreadful Launch in The Roundy
- The Shaker Hymn in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 19th January
- The Four of Us (Unplugged) in Cyprus Avenue
- Under a Plastic Cloud (DJ) in Gulpd Café (Triskel Arts Centre)
- The Maori John Wayne in The Pavilion
- The Certain Three Tour 2013: Nanu Nanu, Si Schroeder and Trumpets of Jericho in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Sunday, 20th January
- The Certain Three Tour 2013: Nanu Nanu, Si Schroeder and Trumpets of Jericho in Pine Lodge (Myrtleville)
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
24th - The Great Ocean Divide, Elk and Let's Run to the Philosopher's in Nancy Spains
24th - Photographic Exhibition launch Terry O’Neill (Beatles, Rolling Stones and more) in Wandesford Quay Gallery (7pm)
26th - Ping Pong present: High Wolf in Triskel Arts Centre's TDC
26th - Winter Music Festival: Fionn Regan & Gemma Hayes in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
1st - Martha Wainwright in Cork Opera House
2nd - Maria Minerva in Half Moon Theatre
8th - The G-Man Presents... Seamus Fogarty and John (Blek) O'Connor in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin Street)
18th - Admiral Fallow in Cyprus Avenue
22nd - Mark Eitzel (American Music Club) in Cyprus Avenue