The first PingPong show of the year is upon us...
Legendary local DIY promoters PingPong kickstart 2013 by welcoming French turntable-twister (and all round general multi-tasker) High Wolf to the Triskel Arts Centre's TDC. For more details see here.
At the other end of a jam-packed week, The KC Sessions return to The Crane Lane Theatre with this month's showcase set to feature performances from Ruby & The Nighthawks, The Lost Gecko, Grenade, Kendo Danger Nagasaki, Dee Power and Nella Dwyer. This one starts early and is absolutely FREE in.
A busy Thursday night will see the Cork leg of The Great Ocean Divide and Elk's Irish tour take them to Nancy Spains. Again, more on this here while legendary photographer Terry O'Neill attends the opening of an exhibition of his work from a glittering career at Wandesford Quay Gallery. Also taking place in four nights time is the Cork début of Dublin-based garage popsters Cave Ghosts who - supported by Nollaig O'Connor - light up The Pavilion Bar with their rays of sunshine rock.
The weekend begins with Bounce Back, a suicide awareness fundraiser (featuring a DJ slot from movie superstar Cillian Murphy - he plays a mean gee-tar as well you know) in Cork Opera House of which you can attain all the details here while Welsh post-hardcore quintet Funeral for a Friend land in Cyprus Avenue.Fionn Regan and Gemma Hayes are both in Ballincollig on Saturday night as part of The White Horse's Winter festival (which will also see the astounding Iarla O'Lionaird feature on Sunday). The same night sees Japanese Popstars spinning "rekkids" on Caroline Street.
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK
Saint Yorda in The Pavilion. Every time I see these guys they get better and better. Mark Buckeridge supports.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 21st January
- The KC Sessions in The Crane Lane Theatre (8.30pm)
- Elly O'Keefe & Noel Barrett in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 22nd January
- Modemusic new music night in Bru Bar
- Like a Fire in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Songwriter Sessions with Paula Gomez in L'Attitude 51
- Acoustic Session: Sons of Noel & Adrian in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Wednesday, 23rd January
- Fireside Sessions: in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- The Scenes in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Sitting Room Session in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 24th January
- The Pearls in Bru Bar
- Ronan Ó'Snódaigh in Coughlan's
- The Great Ocean Divide, Elk and Let's Run to the Philosopher's in Nancy Spains
- Photographic Exhibition launch Terry O’Neill (Beatles, Rolling Stones and more) in Wandesford Quay Gallery (7pm)
- Cave Ghosts and Nollaig O'Connor in The Pavilion (Bar)
- Serotones, Sound of Impact and Young Savage in UCC (Old college bar)
- Northern Lights in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Friday, 25th January
- Bounce Back Cork Suicide Awareness fundraiser with Cillian Murphy (DJ slot), Young Wonder, The Voice Effect, Grenade, Roaring Forties, Stevie G and Karen Underwood & The Booty Band in Cork Opera House
- Friday Night Feast with Jack O Rourke & Marlene Enright,
Cormac O Caoimh and Chris Campbell in Coughlan's
- The Grunts & guests in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- Funeral For A Friend and Time Is a Thief in Cyprus Avenue
- UCC A/V Night: Carried By Waves and Horsemen Pass By in Triskel Arts Centre's TDC
- Winter Music Festival: Dirk Powell & Riley Baugus with Aoife O'Donovan (Crooked Still) in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
- Barren Samedi in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 26th January
- Fast Like Fun in Bru Bar
- Japanese Popstars (DJ set) in Cyprus Avenue
- Inbred, New Age Extinction, Bisect and Arise The Fallen in Fred Zeppelins
- Saturday night in Gulpd Café (Triskel Arts Centre)
- Saint Yorda and Mark Buckeridge in The Pavilion
- Ping Pong present: High Wolf in Triskel Arts Centre's TDC
- Winter Music Festival: Fionn Regan & Gemma Hayes in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
Sunday, 27th January
- Cat Dowling & Band in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Winter Music Festival: Iarla Ó'Lionáird & Steve Cooney with Dermot Byrne (Altan) & Floriane Blancke in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
Coming in February...
1st - Martha Wainwright in Cork Opera House
2nd - Maria Minerva in Half Moon Theatre
3rd - Declan O'Rourke in Coughlan's
8th - The G-Man Presents... Seamus Fogarty and John (Blek) O'Connor in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin Street)
14th - Dirty Weekender Toby Kaar (DJ set), Midnight Marauders, Almighty Sion (live), Feel Good Lost (visuals)in The Pavilion (bar)
15th - Dirty Weekender - Nialler9 presents: MMOTHS, Young Wonder and Adultrock in The Pavilion
16th - Dirty Weekender: Rest (album launch), The Great Balloon Race and Hope Is Noise in The Pavilion
16th - Fear Stalks The Land, Mark Buckeridge and Púca in Triskel Arts Centre's TDC
18th - Admiral Fallow in Cyprus Avenue
22nd - Mark Eitzel (American Music Club) in Cyprus Avenue
23rd - Ghost Estates, Slow Motion Heroes, Sounds of System Breakdown and more in The Pavilion
25th - John Prine in Cork Opera House
25th - Arbouretum in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
26th - Loch Lomond in Cyprus Avenue