...definitely not down south gig-wise as all seven nights throw up healthy options for those insatiable music minds.
If last week was all about The Pavilion then the week commencing 18th February is definitely owned by Cyprus Avenue as their Caroline Street counterparts burst into life with live music a-plenty from start to finish beginning with alt-folk Glasgwegians Admiral Fallow who play Monday night. Forever compared to Frightened Rabbit (no bad thing), the Scottish sextet - who released their second record Tree Bursts In Snow in May 2012 - have been listed all over the shop as "Ones to watch" so this could be one of the few opportunities to catch Admiral Fallow in a small/medium size venue. Wednesday night on Caroline Street sees brawny band battles recommence as heat 4 of UCC's annual competition goes underway while local rockers Former Monarchs - with the help of Cork pals Porn for the Blind - take to the same stage on Thursday night.
As if that wasn't enough American Music Club frontman and songwriter Mark Eitzel opens the weekend (Friday), New York folk-punk pioneer Hamell On Trial plays Saturday before the outstanding Enemies and Croupier end the week on a frenetic, math-rock induced high. And that's only Cyprus Avenue!
- The long-running Fireside Sessions continue with The Bradley Sisters in Bradley's of Barrack Street(Wednesday)
- The Pavilion welcomes part one of two Colaiste Stiofain Naofa nights (Wednesday)
- The same venue opens up to Alliance Promotions on Saturday night as Ghost Estates , Slow Motion Heroes and more serve up a Saturday night smash on Carey's Lane
- For those willing to travel further afield then pack the sandwiches for Clon(akilty) as Dave Heumann's Arbouretum converge on De Barra's (Saturday)
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK:
Thursday: The Pavilion's downstairs bar houses the experimental musings of Mark Buckeridge and band.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 18th February
- Admiral Fallow and Gary Meyler in Cyprus Avenue
Tuesday, 19th February
- Songwriter Sessions with Paula Gomez in L'Attitude 51
- Jazz Improv in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- Eddie Reader in The Pavilion
Wednesday, 20th February
- Fireside Sessions: The Bradley Sisters and The Tuesday Boots in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Senekah in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- UCC Battle of the Bands - Heat 3: NoSuchAnimal, RadioCaroline and BarchesterChronicles in Cyprus Avenue
- CSN (Colaiste Stiofain Naofa) Live & Gigging in The Pavilion
- Sitting Room Session: Cal Folger Day and One Horse Pony in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 21st February
- Cork Orchestral Society presents: RTE Vanbrugh Quartet in Cork School of Music
- Brendan Power & Tim Edey in Coughlan's
- Former Monarchs and Porn For The Blind in Cyprus Avenue
- Mark Buckeridge & Band in The Pavilion
Friday, 22nd February
- Mark Eitzel (American Music Club) in Cyprus Avenue
- Kab Driver in Gulpd Café (Triskel Arts Centre)
- Laura Whitmore (MTV) DJ set in Havana Brown's POSTPONED
- Fish Go Deep in The Pavilion
- Later With The Grunts in The Roundy
Saturday, 23rd February
- Tanya Louise (instore) in Crowley's Music Centre (5pm)
- Hamell On Trial in Cyprus Avenue
- Art Crimes Band and Suadela Bellydance in The Crane Lane Theatre (8.30pm)
- Ghost Estates, Slow Motion Heroes, Sounds of System Breakdown and more in The Pavilion
- Arbouretum in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Sunday, 24th February
- Enemies and Croupier in Cyprus Avenue
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
Upcoming The G-Man Presents... Gigs:
3rd May - The G-Man Presents... Angel Olsen in Half Moon Theatre
- For more gigs and dates see the overall gig guide here