It's a fair week for folk in Cork...
Fence Records's Seamus Fogarty lands in Cork this weekend as part of the very first The G-Man Presents... show of the year. John Blek & The Rats' frontman and songwriter John O'Connor will join the Mayo man for an intimate session in Plugd Records* on Friday evening. Tickets are €5 and available on the door for this early show - doors at 8.30pm and over by 10.30pm.
"Singer-songwriter Seamus Fogarty is a no-nonsense operator with a fine handle on strong, melodic, powerful folk, country and blues"
Jim Carroll, Irish Times
*Plugd Records is located on the 1st floor of Cork's Triskel Art Centre, Tobin Street. (Off Grand Parade, down the lane-way between Soho and Singers)
It really is a week for folk lovers as Clare man David Hope visits the cosy confines of Coughlan's on Douglas Street as part of an Irish tour that sees the launch of his second record Scarecrow and just a little further up the road on Barrack Street Bradley's continue their weekly session, welcoming Devil Tree and Andy Wilson to warm their bones by the fire (both Wednesday). Cork supergroup Grave Lanterns are also in action that night as part of UCC Live Music Society's battle of the bands in Cyprus Avenue. Comprised of members of The Altered Hours, The Great Balloon Race and Terror Pop, Grave Lanterns were mighty impressive in The Pavilion last Thursday night so the other bands will have to raise their game come Wednesday night on Caroline Street.
The astounding abilities of David Nelligan are on show on Thursday in The Roundy as part of a new regular night called Cactus whilst living Cork legend Ger Wolfe plays a set down Clonakilty way.
On Sunday UK collective Southern Tenant Folk Union's Irish visit takes them to The Crane Lane Theatre as part of their Hello Cold Goodbye Sun tour, the rootsy group's fifth studio album.
Also check out:
The Great Balloon Race and Une Pipe in The Pavilion on Saturday. TGBR are monsters live. GO!
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 4th February
- Mashed Potatoes in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 5th February
- Songwriter Sessions with Paula Gomez in L'Attitude 51
- Earthship in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Wednesday, 6th February
- Fireside Sessions: Devil Tree and Andy Wilson in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- David Hope (album launch), Miriam Donohue and Monorail in Coughlan's
- Crow Black Chicken in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- UCC Battle of the Bands - Heat 1: Grave Lanterns, Double Dutch, We Like Remy and Elysium in Cyprus Avenue
Thursday, 7th February
- Unwinding Cables in The Pavilion (Bar)
- Cactus: David Nelligan in The Roundy
- Ger Wolfe Trio in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Friday, 8th February
- The G-Man Presents... Seamus Fogarty and John (Blek) O'Connor in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin Street)
- Pavlov's Dogs in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 9th February
- Alan & The Accident, The Calvinists and Gary Meyler in Cyprus Avenue
- The Great Balloon Race and Une Pipe in The Pavilion
Sunday, 10th February
- The Atrocity Exhibit, I’ll Eat Your Face and Bisect in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Southern Tenant Folk Union in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Declan O'Rourke in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
Upcoming The G-Man Presents... Gigs:
8th Feb - The G-Man Presents... Seamus Fogarty and John (Blek) O'Connor in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin Street)
3rd May - The G-Man Presents... Angel Olsen in Half Moon Theatre
- For more gigs and dates see the overall gig guide here