Thursday in Gulpd Café - chalk it down!
Following February's show in Plugd Records, The G-Man Presents... showcase relocates to the ground floor of the Triskel Arts Centre to set up shop in the record store's sister business, the wonderfully cosy Gulpd Café. A special stripped down acoustic session with The Depravations will take place within the walls of the Tobin Street which will see the Galwegians run through tunes from their recently released Onwards, Westwards. This one is completely FREE so what better way to ease your way into the long weekend.
This bumper edition preview of what's coming in the next nine days down Leeside-way is choc-a-bloc with super live shows. For those looking to the future then Cyprus Avenue is the place to be on Wednesday night as UCC's Live Music Showcase culminates in a grand final which happens to feature the mysterious (and quite brilliant) Grave Lanterns. Worth it for these guys alone.
Thursday night sees a bit of a clash with David Nelligan - who took part in the first ever The G-Man Presents... show back in July 2012 - playing an acoustic session in Bru whilst another past G-Man Presents-er, Rory Francis O'Brien takes to the stage in Fred's that very same evening. It's back to Caroline Street on Saturday for the long awaited album launch from Private Underground Residence (more details here) with dancefloor duties fulfilled expertly in The Pav by Le Galaxie.
Last but not least there's a certain little show taking place in The Savoy which struggled to sell out when announced a good few months back. Well it did for at least a good hour or so.
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK:
Thursday: The Depravations in Gulpd Café. New to the suppliers of stupendous coffee (don't worry, they also server beer) and Beamish choccy cake? Find it on Tobin Street as part of the Triskel Arts Centre (ground floor). No clue where that is? Make your way to Grand Parade, find Soho. See the little laneway to the left of the entrance. Wander down there and stay to your left. Ta-da! You have now found the heart and soul of Cork City's cultural treasures. Yes I am aware of how biased this free gig of the week happens to be.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 11th March
- Hot Blooded Animals in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 12th March
- Songwriter Sessions with Paula Gomez in L'Attitude 51
- Jazz Improv in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- Richard Farrell and Last Tribe in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Wednesday, 13th March
- Fireside Sessions: Dan Raza in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- Paradox and Screenreader in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- UCC Battle of the Bands - Final: Grave Lanterns, Rabbits Love Liquorice, Lowlek, Mint and Emerson in Cyprus Avenue
- Sitting Room Session: in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 14th March
- The G-Man Presents... The Depravations (acoustic) and Tom Healy (Trumpets of Jericho) in Gulpd Café FREE
- David Nelligan & Andy Wilson in Bru
- Rory Francis O'Brien in Fred Zeppelins
- The Dead Heavys in The Pavilion
- New Valley Wolves in UCC new bar
Friday, 15th March
- Hot 8 Brass Band in The Bodega
- Cork Rocks acoustic sessions: The Lost Gecko, Cormac O'Caoimh and Ruby & The Nighthawks in Everyman Palace Theatre
- Wiggle in The Pavilion
Saturday, 16th March
- Crowley's Instore The Hard Ground in Crowley's Music Centre (5.30pm)
- LAPD (Liam O’Flynn, Andy Irvine, Paddy Glackin & Dónal Lunny) in Cork Opera House
- The Calvinists in Coughlan's
- Private Underground Residence album launch in Cyprus Avenue
- Wolf Regime, Arise The Fallen, Orchestra Of Lions and Broken in Fred Zeppelins
- Prohibition in Half Moon Theatre
- Le Galaxie and Ghosts in The Pavilion
Sunday, 17th March
- Tinnitus Thursdays presents: Them Martyrs, Hope Is Noise, Bisect and This Place Is Death in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- The Rye in The Crane Lane Theatre (2pm)
- Heymoonshaker in The Crane Lane Theatre (4.30pm)
- Karma Parking in The Crane Lane Theatre (6.30pm)
- Natty Wailer and The Reggae Vibes in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
- Pontius Pilate & The Naildrivers in The Crane Lane Theatre (12am)
- Guidewires with Liam O'Maonlaì & Triona Nì Dhomhanaill in Everyman Palace Theatre
- Five Will Die and more in Fred Zeppelins
- Trad in the Triskel: Moya Fitzgerald, Kevin Conroy and Katie Lyons in Triskel Arts Centre
Monday, 18th March
- Jezzebelle in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 19th March
- Modemusic Session in Bru
- Walking On Cars in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- Cyprus Avenue presents: Villagers in The Savoy
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
Upcoming The G-Man Presents... Gigs:
11th April - The G-Man Presents... We Arrive Alive and Une Pipe in The Pavilion
3rd May - The G-Man Presents... Angel Olsen in Half Moon Theatre
- For more gigs and dates see the overall gig guide here