Having just spoken to the wonderful Lisa O'Neill last month (read in full here), it's great to see the Cavan song-carver return to Cork for an intimate winter show to be hosted by Sirius Arts Centre on Saturday evening. Brave the ice and rain (or icy rain!) and take a train out to Cobh to hear some songs from the upcoming O'Neill record, expected in Spring. The following night sees Conor O'Brien's Villagers play one of Cork's oldest venues, Everyman Palace, completing a bumper weekend of Irish songwriting talent this weekend down south.
Elsewhere, Luke O'Neill's promising latest project Damsel celebrate the release of debut EP Boy on the Rocks with an official launch show in The Roundy on Saturday evening. Having played a G-Man presents... show solo back in September, this will be a full-blooded, full-band affair.
Also going down around town this week:
Tuesday, 19th January
- Tim O'Connor The Hitch-hiking Poet in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Wednesday, 20th January
- Lennoko (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Russian Songwriters Night in The Roundy
- Tim O'Brien & Arty McGlynn in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
Thursday, 21st January
- The Deans (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Music Network presents Liam Ó Maonlaí, Kevin Burke & Tim Edey in Triskel Christchurch
Friday, 22nd January
- Ye Vagabonds in Coughlan's
- Me In Time in The Roundy
Saturday, 23rd January
- Damsel in The Roundy
- Lisa O'Neill and Mossy Nolan in Sirius Arts Centre (Cobh)
Sunday, 24th January
- Villagers in Everyman Palace
Monday, 25th January
If I have forgotten a show or listed a gig incorrectly feel free to let me know! Please make sure to confirm gig details with the official site in advance.