This week in Cork: Live at St. Luke's, The Marquee, SuddenWestSummer, Roslyn Steer, John Murry and more...
With the sunny glowball shining persistently and profusely in the sky, it's becoming embarrassing the amount of times I sporadically spurt "ROAD TRIP" throughout the day, especially to the bemusement of fellow queuers when standing in line for milk at the local spar. Still, we must make hay and SuddenWestSummer, the brainchild of local indie promoters Southern Hospitality Board, argues strongly for the case of heading west to Leap on Saturday for an evening's worth of outstanding - and diverse - Irish music. With Cork prog-jazz-rockers The Great Ballon Race topping the bill, Connolly's also hosts Out on a Limb folkie Owensie, indie foursome Tandem Felix, Dublin-based sound-swirler Anna-Mieke Bishop, and the now living on Leeside poet, Róisín Kelly. For those sticking around, Glut Egg Cafe will be serving up Sunday morning brunch. Why aren't you going again?
Those sticking to the city will be keeping on a eye on the tent-on-tarmac with Dropkick Murphys pouring pints of Celtic punk for Marquee goers on Tuesday evening with lots of pop promised for the rest of the week. For the full list see official ticket-seller site. Lisa Hannigan kickstarts a quartet of Cork dates in De Barra's on Wednesday night which will see the Irish songstress visit Connolly's on Thursday and The White Horse Saturday with the stand out Live at St. Luke's concert sandwiched in on Friday. Some of these shows are already sold out so pick up your tickets quickly if you intend on popping along. Also appearing at the church on top of the hill, composer and fiddle player Colm Mac Con Iomaire will be treating ears to works from his two solo albums with very special guest Ger Wolfe along for the ride. For me, this is the sleeper/under the radar highlight of the week. And rounding off the weekend in the church will be at triple album launch. All released under the Kant Cope Records umbrella, explorative and experimental performances from the Cork-based Roslyn Steer, Fixity and Sky, Horse and Death will take place in an intimate all-on-the-altar setting.
Those about earlier in the week, there's a book signing in Gulpd as founding member of The Las' Mike Badger and co-writer Tim Peacock launch The Rhythm & The Tide with the Tuesday night event featuring readings from the newly released book and a performance from Mike himself.
Mississippi songwriter (and adopted Irishman) John Murry visits Cyprus Avenue on Thursday. For an interview with the writer of critically acclaimed album The Graceless Age on the blog from the last time he played, see here.
Dublin lofi-er Fuzzy Hell teams up with Brooklyn's Frances Chang in Gulpd on Sunday.
Also going down around town this week:
For a day-by-day breakdown of gigs taking place in both Cork city and county over the next three weeks see below.
Tuesday, 7th June
- Dropkick Murphys and Stiff Little Fingers Live at the Marquee
Wednesday, 8th June
- The Rhythm & The Tide launch: Mike Badger (The Las) & Tim Peacock in Gulpd
- Lisa Hannigan in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 9th June
- John Murry & Clive Barnes in Cyprus Avenue
- Cork Improvised Music Club Eveliina Gustafsson (vocals), Emil Nerstrand (Sax) and Dan Walsh (drums) in Gulpd
- The Corrs Live at the Marquee
- Pulses of Tradition in Triskel Christchurch
- Luan Parle & Clive Barnes in The White Horse (Ballincollig)
- Lisa Hannigan in Connolly's (Leap)
Friday, 10th June
- Rickie Lee Jones in Cork Opera House
- Lisa Hannigan Live at St. Luke's
- Pulses of Tradition in Triskel Christchurch
- Quangodelic in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Saturday, 11th June
- Malthusian and Zealot Cult in Cork Community Print Shop
- Mooche Festival: Dizzy Birds (9pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Colm Mac Con Iomaire Live at St. Luke's
- Hamsandwich in Triskel Christchurch
- Lisa Hannigan and Ye Vagabonds in The White Horse (Ballincollig) SOLD OUT
- SuddenWestSummer: The Great Balloon Race, Owensie, Tandem Felix, Anna-Mieke Bishop, Roisin kelly and Small Town Disco in Connolly's (Leap)
- Ricky Lynch Trio in Coughlan's
Sunday, 12th June
- Fuzzy Hell in Gulpd
- Roslyn Steer, Fixity and Sky, Horse And Death Live at the Altar, St. Luke's
- Mooche Festival: Dizzy Birds (9pm), Daddy Long Legs (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Daddy Long Legs (4pm) in Pine Lodge (Myrtleville)
Monday, 13th June
- The Americanics in Coughlan's
If I have forgotten a show or listed a gig incorrectly feel free to let me know! Please make sure to confirm gig details with the official site in advance.