Having launched their Irish tour with a show in Coughlan's last week, Melbourne folk-pop duo Oh Pep! are back in Cork for a couple of dates out west with shows in both De Barra's (Wednesday) and Levis' (Thursday) before heading back to Australia for winter. Take note as this could be the last time fans have a chance to catch Olivia Hally and Pepita Emmerichs play such intimate locations with their infectiously melodic stars ever on the rise.
Multinational quartet This Is How We Fly also hit a number of non-city venues (De Barra's, White Horse) this week but city slickers fear not as a lunchtime show is scheduled in for UCC on Friday afternoon and it's absolutely free. Lau guitarist Kris Drever comes to Coughlan's with a first solo album in six years so prepare to go strolling through a forest of folk gems from If Wishes Were Horses.
Friday sees Choice Prize nominated twosome We Cut Corners take to Cyprus Avenue whilst road-trippers can catch nu-trad specialists Ensemble Ériu in Connolly's of Leap that same evening. Friday also sees the launch of the 61st Cork Film Festival with Plugd Records teaming up with the festival to present a special gathering of experimental musicians.The Smoke Clears, Huerco S. and Wry Myrrh (Ellll & Irene Buckley) all perform in Triskel TDC on Saturday night. For details on the full programme visit corkfilmfest.org.
Last but certainly not least is Cal Fogler Day's visit to Gulpd Cafe on Sunday evening, the now Dublin-based U.S. songwriter is a firm favourite of the blog with Cal having been part of a G-Man Presents... concert way back when. With Elaine Malone opening, Sunday sees Cal present her adaptation of the 1919 Djuna Barnes short play 'At the Roots of the Stars' as an operetta.
Also going down around town this week:
- Songwriter Claire O'Brien, commences her November residency in Gulpd Cafe (Wednesday)
- Improvised Music Club in Gulpd (Thursday)
- Jack O’Rourke & Band in De Barra’s (Friday)
Tuesday 8th November
- Abrústic Sessions, Brú Bar, 9.30pm, FREE
- Acoustic Session, De Barra’s (Clonakilty), 9.30pm, FREE
Wednesday 9th November
- Atlantic Songbook Sessions, Crane Lane, 10pm, FREE
- Papertrail - single launch, Cyprus Avenue, 8pm, FREE
- Claire O'Brien, Gulpd, 8pm, FREE
- Oh Pep!, De Barra’s (Clonakilty), 9pm, €10
Thursday 10th November
- Kris Drever (Lau), Coughlan's Bar, 9pm, €15
- Joe Purdy, Cyprus Avenue, 8pm, €15
- Improvised Music Club: John Godfrey, Roddy O'Keefe & Mick O'Shea, Gulpd Cafe, 9pm, €3
- Sara Bear Ryan, Brú Bar, 9.30pm, FREE
- Oh Pep!, Levis' Corner House (Ballydehob), 8pm, €10
- This Is How We Fly, De Barra’s (Clonakilty), 9.30pm, €14
Friday 11th November
- Dax J, Cyprus Avenue, 11pm, €15
- We Cut Corners, Cyprus Avenue, 8pm, €12.50
- This Is How We Fly, Aula Maxima UCC, 1pm, FREE
- Bubba Shakespeare, Brú Bar, 9.30pm, FREE
- This Is How We Fly, The White Horse (Ballincollig), 8.30pm, €15
- Jack O’Rourke Band, De Barra’s (Clonakilty), 9.30pm, €10
- Ensemble Ériu, Connolly's (Leap), 8.30pm, €10
Saturday 12th November
- plugd & Cork Film Festival present: The Smoke Clears, Huerco S. and Wry Myrrh, Triskel TDC, 9pm, €12
- Prog Metal Night: Megacone , Meniscus and Aponym, Urban Jungle, 8pm, €8
- Ricky Lynch Trio, Coughlan's Bar, 10pm, FREE
Sunday 13th November
- Cal Folger Day and Elaine Malone, Gulpd, 8pm, €5
Monday 14th November
- Full Moon Club, The Abbey Tavern, 9.30pm, Free
- The Americhanics, Coughlan's Bar, 9pm, FREE
If I have forgotten a show or listed a gig incorrectly feel free to let me know! Please make sure to confirm gig details with the official site in advance.