This week in Cork: Willis Earl Beal, Meatbodies, Toby Kaar, Niall Connolly and more...
The nasty, sugar-dealing Easter bunny, sated for another year has flopped off back to his cave somewhere and our focus is back on live music with Cork a hotbed of international talent this week. Chicagoan creator Willis Earl Beal - joined by Myles Manley - takes to the stage beneath the Cyprus Avenue lights on April Fool's Day with the singer/poet/spiritualist set to change hearts, minds and souls alike with one his of transcendental shows.
Toby Kaar is back in Cork for the launch of his brand new EP, Gumbrielle, in Minus on Hanover Street. Like all Southern Hospitality Board shows, this one will be fun and packed so get your ticktes early.
Following an afternoon showing down by the Myrtleville beach in Pine Lodge, former Mikal Cronin guitarist and FUZZ bassist Chad Ubovich and Meatbodies roar into The Crane Lane Theatre to wave/screa, an energetic goodbye to the weekend.
Also going down around town this week:
For a day-by-day breakdown of gigs taking place in both Cork city and county over the next three weeks see below.
Tuesday, 29th March
- Bluegrass Session in Callanan's
- Jazz Improv (9pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
Wednesday, 30th March
- The North Sea (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
Thursday, 31st March
- Paul Dunlea Big Band in Cork Opera House
- Vespertine Quintet & Paul Tiernan in Coughlan's
- The Statics (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Georgie Fame w/ Hugh Buckley & The Phil Ware Trio in Triskel Christchurch
- Ballydehob Jazz Festival Launch in The Woodford
Friday, 1st April
- Damien Dempsey in Cork Opera House
- Niall Connolly and Those Sensible Shoes in Coughlan's
- Willis Earl Beal and Myles Manley in Cyprus Avenue
- The Shaker Hymn in Connolly's (Leap)
Saturday, 2nd April
- EP Launch: Toby Kaar and Chris Power in Minus
- Chloé Hanslip in Triskel Christchurch
- The Nash Brothers, Foriegn Bodies and Chris MacDonald in Connolly's (Leap)
Sunday, 3rd April
- Seskin Lane (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- exmagician in Cyprus Avenue
- Niall Connolly in Levis' (Ballydehob)
- Meatbodies (5pm) in Pine Lodge (Myrtleville)
Monday, 4th April
- The Americanics in Coughlan's
- Meatbodies (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
If I have forgotten a show or listed a gig incorrectly feel free to let me know! Please make sure to confirm gig details with the official site in advance.