|This Is The Kit - Cyprus Avenue (Saturday)|
Pals and favourites This Is the Kit pay a Spring visit to Cork on Saturday with a first ever date in Cyprus Avenue. Kate & co. contributed a version of 'Jack-a-Roe' to the soon-to-be-released Day of the Dead Grateful Dead tribute/charity compilation, all 7 records of which I hope to get my hands on come May.
The options available to gig-goers in the first full week month of April are full and plentiful with Friday and Saturday throwing up clash-caused headaches for everyone. The exhilarating Rusangano Family roar into The Kino on Friday, teaming up with Lakerama to light up the old independent cinema Shabaka Hutchings' double-drumming quartet Sons of Kemet bring the parps and beats to the hallowed Triskel Christchurch hall. For those who fancy a jaunt out of town, indie prince Paddy Hanna is in Leap.
It can go quiet at times but when it's busy the Triskel is hard to beat with the second of a big weekend double bill completed on Saturday night with an appearance by the voice of The Gloaming, the incomparable Iarla Ó Lionáird. For those still full of pep come Monday evening, why not pop into Quay Co-op for the first in a hopefully long line of Satchmo Sessions. First up: Newcastle rockabilly trio Sir Jac's Bantamacs.
Twin Headed Wolf launch new album The Long Decay (Songs from a Tomb) in Cork Community Print Shop Friday.
Also going down around town this week:
For a day-by-day breakdown of gigs taking place in both Cork city and county over the next three weeks see below.
Tuesday, 5th April
- Jazz Improv (9pm), Trans Fatty Acids (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Intervarsity Battle of the Bands in Cyprus Avenue
Wednesday, 6th April
- Rob Heron & The Tea Pad Orchestra (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Patrick Lynch Jazz in The Roundy
- FILM: Anthony Balch tribute w/ Horror Hospital in Triskel Christchurch
Thursday, 7th April
- Race The Flux and Pranks (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Cork Improvised Music Club: Stephen Parker, Niall McGuinness and Dan Walsh in Gulpd Café
Friday, 8th April
- Twin Headed Wolf in Cork Community Print Shop
- Hermitage Green in Cork Opera House
- Mongrel State in Coughlan's
- Prosumer in Cyprus Avenue
- Rusangano Family and Lakerama in The Kino
- Sons of Kemet in Triskel Christchurch
- Smells Like Nirvana: Paradox and Screenreader in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
- Paddy Hanna in Connolly's (Leap)
Saturday, 9th April
- Record Fair (11am-5pm) in Cork Community Print Shop
- Spring Fling Pop Up Market (11am-late) in Coughlan's
- Harry J & The Cons (11.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott in Cork Opera House
- This Is The Kit in Cyprus Avenue
- Iarla Ó Lionáird in Triskel Christchurch
Sunday, 10th April
All quiet it seems
Monday, 11th April
- The Americanics in Coughlan's
- In aid of St. Vincent de Paul: Mick Flannery (8.30pm) in The Crane Lane Theatre
- The Satchmo Sessions: Sir Jac's Bantamacs in Quay Co-op
If I have forgotten a show or listed a gig incorrectly feel free to let me know! Please make sure to confirm gig details with the official site in advance.