Roll on March. Oh there you are!
The Black Sun rises on Saturday as the avant-garde promoters come out of retirement to welcome Geordie experimentalist Richard Dawson to Plugd Records on Friday night. For those who failed to get out of their cage over the weekend then The Crane Lane Theatre is the place for you tonight as cajun noiseniks Mama Rosin roll rambunctiously into town for a late show on Phoenix Street. Although a stranger to these guys until recently, Bye Bye Bayou is a wild thing of beauty. GO!
UCC young 'uns battle it out for the wildcard spot in Cyprus Avenue as the annual battle of the bands comp closes in on the grand finale on Wednesday followed on Thursday by a FREE screening of Danish diamonds Efterklang's movie Ghost of Piramida. Porn For The Blind follow up last week's Roundy date with a second show in seven days, this time heading across town for a free show in The Pavilion's downstairs bar. That's also happening on Thursday night.
Finishing off the week with a flourish are Appalachian bluegrass bringers Rose's Pawn Shop who take us back to The Crane Lane for another late one while Rachel Austin and The Hard Ground combine for Coughlan's. Both of these take place on Sunday.
FREE GIG OF THE WEEK:
The Vincent(s) officially launch 'Asked Her To The Dance' - which of course was heard first on this very blog a few weeks back - with the help of Myles Manley & The Little People in The Pavilion on Saturday.
*Film fans see Triskel Arts Centre's listings for the week over on the official website here.
Monday, 4th March
- Mama Rosin in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
Tuesday, 5th March
- Songwriter Sessions with Paula Gomez in L'Attitude 51
- Jazz Improv in The Crane Lane Theatre (9pm)
Wednesday, 6th March
- Fireside Sessions: Eoin O'Sullivan in Bradley's of Barrack Street
- UCC Battle of the Bands - Heat 5 We Like Remy, Serotones, Young Savage and Mint in Cyprus Avenue
- Jawbone in The Pavilion (Bar)
- Mister Sidebeat and guests in The Roundy
- Sitting Room Session: in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Thursday, 7th March
- FILM: Efterklang's The Ghost of Piramida screening in Cyprus Avenue
- Porn For The Blind in The Pavilion
- LOWmountain, Grace O'Leary and James Murray in UCC (old bar)
- John Spillane in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Friday, 8th March
- Boxcar Bertha in Charlie's Bar
- Match&Fuse featuring ReDiviDeR & WSP in The Crane Lane Theatre (8.30pm)
- Foy Vance in Cyprus Avenue
- Alan & The Accident in The Oliver Plunkett
- Black Sun: Richard Dawson in Plugd Records (1st floor of Triskel Arts Centre)
Saturday, 9th March
- Crowley's Instore with Rachel Austin in Crowley's Music Centre (5pm)
- The Last Waltz live in Everyman Palace Theatre
- The Vincent(s) (single launch) and Myles Manley & The Little People in The Pavilion
- Superblondes and The Shaker Hymn in Triskel Arts Centre TDC (8pm)
- The Ceili All-Stars Big Band in De Barra's (Clonakilty)
Sunday, 10th March
- Rachel Austin and The Hard Ground in Coughlan's
- Rose's Pawn Shop in The Crane Lane Theatre (11.30pm)
- The Hobo Convention with Jimmy The Hideous Penguin in The Pavilion (5pm)
If I have forgotten anything feel free to let me know!
Upcoming The G-Man Presents... Gigs:
11th April - The G-Man Presents... We Arrive Alive and Une Pipe in The Pavilion
3rd May - The G-Man Presents... Angel Olsen in Half Moon Theatre
- For more gigs and dates see the overall gig guide here